Palm oil – we all know about its impacts on the environment and the natural habitat of the orangutan, but how many of us are aware of the appalling conditions those who produce it are working under? Use the resources below to take action against child labour.
April campaign update
Wilmar is one of the world’s largest producers of palm oil in the world. In our recent research report The Great Palm Oil Scandal: Labour Abuses Behind Big Brand Names, we found severe exploitation of labour rights on plantations owned by Wilmar and its suppliers; with children as young as eight doing hard physical work in hazardous conditions.
The brands we know and love that are in all of our homes right now – like Colgate, Nestle and Kellogg’s – are selling products containing palm oil sourced from Wilmar. These brands are choosing to turn a blind eye to the exploitation of workers for the sake of profit. This is a multi-billion dollar industry. It’s about time big brands took responsibility for the production of the raw materials that make their products so that you, the consumer, can make informed decisions at the checkout about whether you want to be complicit in human rights abuses.
It’s time to push back. Let these brands know that you will stand up against human rights abuses and say #notinmytrolley!
For information about what your action group can do and resources for holding stalls and events:
Other action group resources
- Palm Oil Petition targeting producers (1) – collect signatures in your community
- Palm Oil Petition targeting retailers (2) – collect signatures in your community
- Palm Oil flyer – to hand out while petitioning, at stalls etc
- Palm Oil stall poster – to decorate your stall with
- Palm Oil brands poster – to decorate your stall with
- Palm Oil community poster – to post on community noticeboards, windows etc
- (or create your own posters in Canva)